Berkeley Air is a leader in field monitoring and household energy project evaluation in the developing world. Our work includes designing, planning, and executing studies that assess the performance of household energy technologies and their impacts.
These technologies often focus on household cook stoves and cooking fuels. We also consult on appliances for heating, lighting, safe water supply, and institutional cookstoves. We work closely with local groups, helping to build technical capacity for assessing household energy projects by supporting universities, NGOs, and technical institutes.
Our group is also heavily involved in policy and strategic components of the household energy sector. Our personnel help develop cookstove standards and guidelines, including current efforts from the International Standardization Organization (ISO) and World Health Organization (WHO). We also provide strategic consulting on programmatic implementation, focusing on monitoring plan integration and cookstove quality assessments.
Our consulting services
- Study design
- Methodology and protocol development
- Field sampling
- Data analysis
- Report writing and presentation
- Training and capacity building
- Instrument support
- Controlled/uncontrolled cooking tests
- Kitchen performance tests
- Testing and analysis for carbon finance projects
- Quantification of climate-forcing pollutant emissions
- Quantification of health-damaging pollutant emissions
- Technology adoption and usage monitoring
- Technology usability and preference surveys
- Household air pollution monitoring
- Personal exposure monitoring
- Questionnaires and qualitative methods for social outcomes
- Behavior change effectiveness assessments